To be eligible for a participation within the 8(a) Business Development Program, a company must first meet SBA’s Size Standards, prove Social Disadvantage and prove Economic Disadvantage. In another article I cover what to do to obtain the size standards for the business and the reason behind individuals standards.
In my opinion, I have discovered that small company proprietors fall clearly into 1 of 2 camps:
1. They’ve plenty of earnings and assets and we’re reviewing the tax statements and private financial plan having a fine-toothed comb to be economically disadvantaged, or
2. Other product problem whatsoever showing themselves economically disadvantaged simply because they withdrew retirement funds, drained savings accounts and lent home equity to obtain the business began and also to ensure that it stays running.
It is primarily the second camp that I will be addressing today. This is because because there’s an excellent line between showing economic disadvantage and showing the “possibility of success” that’s the grounds for approval for just about any business that need considering in to the 8(a) Business Development Program.
Using the Feb 11, revisions that entered impact on March 14, 2011, nowadays there are objective criteria to find out economic disadvantage according to personal earnings and total assets. Individuals criteria are:
* Adjusted Internet Worth – mustn’t exceed $250,000 for initial eligibility or $750,000 for ongoing eligibility
* Personal Earnings – mustn’t exceed $250,000 (averaged over 3 years) for initial eligibility or $350,000 for ongoing eligibility
* Total Assets – mustn’t exceed $4MM for initial eligibility and $6MM for ongoing eligibility, IRA’s are excluded from Internet Worth and Total Asset calculations
Showing that you’re destitute is counter-productive to being qualified for acceptance in to the 8(a) Program. If you’re flat broke, how will you effectively compete within the federal marketplace? How will you have the capital you will need to support an agreement? The factor to keep in mind is the fact that Size Standards affect your company, but Social and Economic Disadvantage derive from YOU, the 51% or better owner in the industry. So inside your narrative Body is needed incidentally – address your economic disadvantages according to each one of the aforementioned criteria, but, more to the point, address the business’ economic advantages.
Should you and the other business possess a proper partnership whereby you provide services for they and them provide equipment for you personally, mention than. In case your business includes a vendor that gives you generous terms, then outline individuals. And, obviously, when the business were built with a capital LOC having a bank, detail that account relationship. Many of these things will convince the certifying agency that you simply satisfy the needs, yet you’ve still got that important “Possibility of Success” within the 8(a) Business Development Program.